Site and investigator selection
Assessing the feasibility of a clinical trial at potential investigational sites prior to their former selection is crucial. Investigators must be qualified, have relevant experience, trained staff and adequate facilities, but above all should truly be motivated to drive your study. We believe in maintaining good relations with site personnel through open communication with them and our sponsors throughout the study, as this helps reaching the First Patient In (FPI) milestone and indeed patient recruitment in general.
With our head office located in Amsterdam, SMS-oncology is in the key spot for trial conduct in Europe. Our Clinical Research Associates (CRAs) liaise with our extensive network of Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs), investigators based in renowned oncology centers, academic institutions and regional hospitals throughout Europe.
We select suitable sites that meet the requirements of the trial and product. After all, first-in-human trials with innovative products for the treatment of specialized or rare indications require a different site selection strategy than late phase trials testing generic products in a common cancer type.
Collaboration with renowned oncology centers
Our trials are conducted in over 150 sites throughout Europe. We often work with internationally recognized centers of clinical excellence in Europe, including (but not limited to):
- Netherlands Cancer Institute, Amsterdam (The Netherlands)
- Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam (The Netherlands)
- Institut Jules Bordet, Brussels (Belgium)
- Charité - Universitätsmedizin, Berlin (Germany)
- Royal Marsden Hospital, London (UK)
- Institut Gustave Roussy, Paris (France)
- Instituto Europeo di Oncologia, Milan (Italy)
- Hospital Universitari Vall d’Hebron, Barcelona (Spain)